Re: Easier package building program

Hello

Am 20.04.21 um 14:52 schrieb Aoki, Osamu:
> HI,
>
> On Sun, 2021-04-18 at 07:56 +0200, Mechtilde wrote:
>> Hello Jeremy,
>>
>> I already try to do so.
>>
>> I'm writing a shell script to automate the build process as far as possible.
>>
>> And I'm documenting it literally.
>>
>> I do it in German and it is prepared for translation.
>>
>> Source: https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/dpb
>>
>> Book: https://people.debian.org/~mechtilde/Dokumentatio
>> Cooperation is welcome.
>
> Looks interesting.
>
> Have you thought about improving existing ones.
>
> https://www.debian.org/doc/devel-manuals#debmake-doc
>
> or even its previous version.
>
> https://www.debian.org/doc/devel-manuals#maint-guide
Yes, but I can't do it.

My starting point was my try to automate the packaging process.

I tried do document all those steps which I find out by try and error,
reading many documents from different sources and try and error again.

> They already come with translations.
>
> Very verbose documentation doesn't help much since we are working on
> the moving target.
>
> Biggest shortcomings are:
>
> They don't use the current sbuild.
> They are not updated on time.

As long as I haven't any idea ow sbuild works and/or what are the
different and how it changes the part I described, I can't describe it.

> I think gbp will stay here but the use of dgit will increase.  For the
> chroot build system, there is not much reason not to use sbuild.
>
> After all, it share the same build system as the official buildd.
> It uses overlay mount and it is supported by kernel for good long time
> and we can use any filesystem.  (NO LVM or Btrfs required.)  (Except "I
> don't like Perl" like me.  Well, I even had to work on uscan in Perl to
> be useful to others.)
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/sbuild
>
> I will change https://www.debian.org/doc/devel-manuals#debmake-doc
> to use sbuild after bullseye.
> https://salsa.debian.org/debian/debmake-doc/-/tree/sbuild
>
> It is non-trivial to do piupitus and autopkgtest with
> pbuilder/cowbuilder.  gbp can be used with sbuild now.
>
> apt-cache-ng has some issue for deb.debian.org in its chroot apt line
> but I think that can be adddressed ...

My goal is to help people to understand why packaging for a distribution
and here esp for Debian is important and very interesting.

> Regards,
>
> Osamu

Kind regards

--