Re: Question on rm_conffile

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 8:45 AM Sebastiaan Couwenberg -
sebastic@xs4all.nl
<pkgoyq.xpt.4528cc8bd3.sebastic#xs4all.nl@ob.0sg.net> wrote:

> On 2/22/21 2:23 PM, Tong Sun wrote:
> > However, when I did some research, I found that most packages put
> > rm_conffile in the  .maintscript file. Where does that come from? It
> > is even not in the man page. OK that I put rm_conffile in the
> > .maintscript file as well, instead of in all 3 scripts (preinst,
> > postinst, postrm)?
>
> dpkg-maintscript-helper(1) refers to dh_installdeb(1) which documents
> the .maintscript files, see:
>
>  https://manpages.debian.org/buster/dpkg/dpkg-maintscript-helper.1.en.html
>  https://manpages.debian.org/buster/debhelper/dh_installdeb.1.en.html

Got it. Thanks

A follow up question, dpkg-maintscript-helper(1) suggests to use

Pre-Depends: dpkg (>= 1.17.14)

But of the several packages that use rm_conffile that I checked, none
of them is using `Pre-Depends: dpkg (>= 1.17.14)` in their control
file. Was I not looking at the correct place or there is something
else (e.g., it's pretty safe not to do that nowadays)?