Sending gpg keys to keyserver

Hi All,

After some frustrated internet searching the last few days I am bringing
my problem here hoping for help.

I have an upload stuck in the upload queue due to an expired key, and I
would like upload my newly unexpired key to the Debian keyservers so
that it is eventually unblocked.

But I get this error:
$ gpg -v --keyserver keyring.debian.org --send-key 'fingerprint'
gpg: sending key 0x<key> to hkp://keyring.debian.org
gpg: keyserver send failed: Connection refused
gpg: keyserver send failed: Connection refused

So how did I get into this mess?

1. Many years ago followed the riseup.net guide to configure my keys.
2. Over two years ago set the expiry date of my signing/encryption key
forwad two years to about now.
3. Weeks ago, sponsored a package to NEW.
4. Package was rejected.
5. The other day, uploaded a fixed package for my sponsee.
6. Today, realise the upload has silently failed due to expired key.
7. Extend expiry date of keys forward two more years.
8. Issue above command, then spend hours of frustrated searching :-)

I should say that I am on an Ubuntu machine (my Debian laptop has other
issues that need fixing). Googling comes up with gpg changes with
v2.1(?), and dirmngr now being the default - not curl ($ gpg --help
gives > gpg (GnuPG) 2.2.19). Riseup.net has completely changed since I
last looked, and there does not seem to be any updated advice on the
Debian keysigning pages.

Any ideas on what configuration I might need to update?

--
Regards,

Ross Gammon
FBEE 0190 904F 1EA0 BA6A  300E 53FE 7BBD A689 10FC