Re: zekr project and new version of Debian

On 2021-12-13 at 09:17, Mohsen Pahlevanzadeh wrote:

> On 12/13/21 11:13, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 08:56:30AM +0330, Mohsen Pahlevanzadeh
>> wrote:
>>
>>> https://packages.debian.org/stretch/zekr Project is a powerful
>>> and useful project in Quran. But its maintainer was released it.
>>> I contact with him, and decide to build deb for debian repo and
>>> rpm for fedora and zst for archlinux.
>>
>> Do you mean you are trying to build the same old source that was
>> removed from Debian because it depended on obsolete libs? In that
>> case it may be impossible to do that on modern Debian. Also, if you
>> want to reintroduce the package in Debian it will be impossible as
>> well, and if you are trying to build it just for yourself or for a
>> non-Debian repo then you shouldn't ask on this mailing list, which
>> is only for questions about contributions to Debian.
>
> Oh, no,  I compiled from original source from sourceforge:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/zekr/

As Andrey pointed out, if this is too old, it might not be compatible
with the libraries and library versions that are available in more
modern versions of Debian.

> I need to create a dependency list according to new version of
> dependencies.
>
> Now, libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 is removed from all repo. I want to know name
> of new version of libwebkitgtk-1.0-0

Unless I'm very much mistaken, there is no such thing.

From a naive search ('apt-cache search libwebkit | grep -i gtk'), I'd
guess that you want the libwebkit2gtk package line; in current testing,
that would mean libwebkit2gtk-4.0-dev and libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37.

However, the name change (from libwebkitgtk to libwebkit2gtk) appears to
reflect an underlying compatibility change in the upstream library.
Quoting from the changelog entry dated August 27th, 2014: "now
WebKitGTK+ only provides the new WebKit2 API.". This probably means that
it is not backwards compatible to the libwebkitgtk package line.

If zekr depends on the WebKit API, and does not support the WebKit2 API,
then it is not going to compile against this package.

In that case, if you want to compile zekr on a modern system, you're
going to need to either also compile something to provide the old WebKit
API, or update zekr to use the WebKit2 API instead.

Doing the former would either involve going back to old, unmaintained
library code (not recommended, and unlikely to make it into Debian), or
implementing a new library project to provide that API yourself
(possibly a quite major effort, and the new library would also need to
get into Debian before zekr could).

Doing the latter would mean becoming the new upstream maintainer for
zekr.

At that point, if you want to also submit a Debian source package for
the updated version of zekr and become the maintainer for that package,
it would become appropriate to discuss the subject here. Until then, any
discussion of the effort should probably happen elsewhere.

--
   The Wanderer