Re: How to include the .git folder in a source package's .tar.xz archive?

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 09:02:21PM -0500, Hunter Wittenborn wrote:
> Part of the packaging process for our program includes running Git
> commands to get things like the timestamp for when some files were last
> modified, which are used in things like the building of man pages via
> Asciidoc to set the last modified time [1].
This is a bad idea for several reasons. It also seems to mean your
software doesn't have a published source tarball.

> The problem is that whenever I (and the other guy) build the program
> with something like debuild, the resulting .tar.xz archive doesn't
> contain the .git repository in which the 'debian/' folder is contained.
Putting .git into the orig tarball is very wrong and you shouldn't do
that. You should find a way how to make a source distribution for your
software that allow building from a tarball without .git.
Please also consider the reproducible builds initiative and
https://reproducible-builds.org/docs/source-date-epoch/

--
WBR, wRAR