Handling files with no copyright notices, many contributors

Hi,

My question is more to do with the practical ramifications of an upload
than the legal ones, so I'm directing my query here rather than debian-
legal.

I'm packaging carl9170fw (which is already present in Debian main, but
not built from source yet), and this includes a header file called
ch9.h that's taken almost verbatim from the Linux kernel source.

It includes a statement that the license is GPL 2 only with system
calls note (basically a GPL exception), and it's already distributed as
part of the kernel, so surely it's free. However, I'm having trouble
figuring out what to put in my DEP-5 copyright file.

Linux Git shows that this file has had too many contributors to
enumerate, and in fact it's been in Linux since before 2.6.12-rc2,
which is the oldest version in the main repo's history.

Documenting everyone that has ever contributed to this file would take
an immense amount of time and is beyond practical. What's the best
remedy that would satisfy the FTP masters as well as satisfy
prospective sponsors? In this statement from the FTP team [1], they
said that further exceptions for cases like this would not be allowed.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2018/10/msg00004.html