Packaging project with existing debian/ folder

Hi,

I am working on packaging a project that already has a debian/ folder in its repo for upstream releases of .deb packages.

Submitting my changes to upstream would not be an option because the upstream .deb package is supposed to build with git.

Intuitively I would just replace the existing folder with my own packaging and add a debian/gbp.conf file with "filter=['debian/*']" but I am not sure if this would be the correct way?

kind regards
Peymaneh