Re: Question about writing systemd unit for old package

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 12:51 PM Khoa Tran Minh wrote:

> I'm trying to write a new systemd unit for mini-httpd package, which is
> using lsb-base to init. Can I replace the old init script straight up, or
> do I have to maintain both the systemd unit and the old init script ?

Please make sure you send the systemd unit upstream too.

Users of init systems other than systemd would probably appreciate it
if you didn't remove the old init script.

If the old init script is crufty, you could rebase it onto the
init-d-script tool, but I am not sure how portable that is to
non-Debian distros.

https://manpages.debian.org/init-d-script

> A related question: The binary itself can drop privilege and run as
> non-root, then should I use that native feature or use systemd User= when
> writing a default config/unit ?

I would suggest to use systemd features for this.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise