Re: Easier package building program

HI,

On Sun, 2021-04-18 at 07:56 +0200, Mechtilde wrote:
> Hello Jeremy,
>
> I already try to do so.
>
> I'm writing a shell script to automate the build process as far as possible.
>
> And I'm documenting it literally.
>
> I do it in German and it is prepared for translation.
>
> Source: https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/dpb
>
> Book: https://people.debian.org/~mechtilde/Dokumentatio
> Cooperation is welcome.

Looks interesting.

Have you thought about improving existing ones.

https://www.debian.org/doc/devel-manuals#debmake-doc

or even its previous version.

https://www.debian.org/doc/devel-manuals#maint-guide

They already come with translations.

Very verbose documentation doesn't help much since we are working on
the moving target.

Biggest shortcomings are:

They don't use the current sbuild.
They are not updated on time.

I think gbp will stay here but the use of dgit will increase.  For the
chroot build system, there is not much reason not to use sbuild.

After all, it share the same build system as the official buildd.
It uses overlay mount and it is supported by kernel for good long time
and we can use any filesystem.  (NO LVM or Btrfs required.)  (Except "I
don't like Perl" like me.  Well, I even had to work on uscan in Perl to
be useful to others.)

https://wiki.debian.org/sbuild

I will change https://www.debian.org/doc/devel-manuals#debmake-doc
to use sbuild after bullseye.
https://salsa.debian.org/debian/debmake-doc/-/tree/sbuild

It is non-trivial to do piupitus and autopkgtest with
pbuilder/cowbuilder.  gbp can be used with sbuild now.

apt-cache-ng has some issue for deb.debian.org in its chroot apt line
but I think that can be adddressed ...

Regards,

Osamu