Question on rm_conffile

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 12:33 AM Tong Sun wrote:

> Can I use rm_conffile to remove a (conffile) directory?
>
> I checked the man page but am still not too sure about that.

Moreover, in

The right way to remove an obsolete conffile in a Debian package
https://raphaelhertzog.com/2010/10/07/the-right-way-to-remove-an-obsolete-conffile-in-a-debian-package/

it says to put rm_conffile in the 3 relevant scripts (preinst, postinst, postrm)

However, when I did some research, I found that most packages put
rm_conffile in the  .maintscript file. Where does that come from? It
is even not in the man page. OK that I put rm_conffile in the
.maintscript file as well, instead of in all 3 scripts (preinst,
postinst, postrm)?