Re: I would like to contribute my app to the Debian project

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 5:00 PM ransome wrote:

> My name is Robin, I am a long time Debian user and I would like to give
> something back by contributing an application I wrote to the Debian project.

Please take a look at our guide for new packagers:

https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers

There are lots of other ways to contribute too, especially with other
packages that you may already be using (run how-can-i-help for that).

https://www.debian.org/intro/help
https://wiki.debian.org/how-can-i-help

> It might not be a typical Debian app, as it has been developed using the
> Electron framework. But if it wasn't for Electron, I would have probably
> never written it as I only know my way around JavaScript, HTML and CSS.

Unfortunately Electron is not yet available in Debian so it isn't
possible to package software for Debian that uses Electron. Since
Electron is a fork of Chromium, it will not be very easy to package
either and the Debian security team should be consulted to find out if
they think Electron is supportable in Debian stable.

I have found in the past that packaging software for Debian written in
languages I don't yet know is a great way to learn a bit about those
languages and to expand your ability to more easily learn new
languages.

> I would like to propose sleek (that's the name) as a potential candidate
> for the Debian repository. I already built the Debian package, which can
> be downloaded for a quick glance here:
> https://github.com/ransome1/sleek/releases/download/v0.8.2/sleek_0.8.2_amd64.deb

In general, Debian needs a source package rather than a binary
package, so we can rebuild the source code into new binary packages on
our buildds for multiple architectures.

--
bye,
pabs