Re: glmark2 debian package missing

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 03:57:12PM +0200, Marius Vlad wrote:
> Thanks for taking the time to comment on the matter. So, I guess I could
> then step in.  I've created myself an account on salsa. I have a couple
> of questions, mostly related to the set-up of it:

Excellent, I've granted you full access to the existing packaging repo.

https://salsa.debian.org/games-team/glmark2

> - do I need to ask upstream to do a new release (I see the last one is
> from April last year)? Is the policy to merge tags/release from upstream
> then cherry-pick/rebase the local changes? Where can I find more info
> about this? I guess the question is: 'How do we track and integrate
> upstream changes?'

It's currently setup for git-buildpackage with the upstream git history
on branch "upstream", the tag merged into "master" which contains the
debian/ folder. It's up to you how much you push for the latest version,
tags are best but you can easily backport individual commits or use the
git HEAD.

https://honk.sigxcpu.org/projects/git-buildpackage/manual-html/gbp.import.upstream-git.html

> - do I need to apply for some kind of Debian maintainer form? Maybe
> create some kind of PGP key? Thought I've been a Debian user for years
> I don't know how this works.

That's fair enough, we all start somewhere and it can be daunting to
make the move from user to package maintainer, but it is satisfying! I
can see that your mail to me was already pgp-signed, which is great so
you should register on mentors and upload your public key.

https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers/

> - @Phil, is there a way we could chat on IRC or something similar to get
> things moving a bit faster than email.

Of course. #debian-mentors is your best bet for asking packaging
questions any time of day, but feel free to @emorrp1 if you like. The
channel is also bridged to matrix at #_oftc_#debian-mentors:matrix.org

Good luck!