Re: request for upload of new version of library following soname change

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 07:39:31PM -0400, Nick Black wrote:
> Andrey Rahmatullin left as an exercise for the reader:
> > On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 04:38:35PM -0400, Nick Black wrote:
> > > I maintain the notcurses package, which is already in the
> > > archive. Recently, the soname changed, necessitating a new
> > > package name (libnotcurses1 -> libnotcurses2). I understand this
> > > needs go through NEW, but alas, I've been unable to reach my
> > > previous uploader for over a week (please don't interpret this
> > > as a knock on their volunteer efforts, which are very much
> > > appreciated). I'd appreciate some DD taking mercy and uploading
> > > to NEW for FTPMaster review.
> > If this package has reverse dependencies, you shouldn't just directly
> > upload it to unstable, you need to make a transition.
> > https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/ReleaseTeam/Transitions
>
> it does not,

Well, dak tellms me, it _has_ a reverse dependency:

Checking reverse dependencies...
# Broken Depends:
snd: snd-nox

# Broken Build-Depends:
snd: libnotcurses-dev

Even if it is only one package, its still a transition.

I anyway recommend _always_ going throug experimental, as
this is the safe way. And it won't save you an upload:
It has to go through NEW and therefore you need an binary upload.
To be able that it will got to testing later, you need to do an
addtional source-only upload. This fixes also corner cases where
you are unaware of an R-Depends, because of race conditions etc.
(new packages, new upstream versions starting to use it…)

> save the package currently up on mentors (and not
> being uploaded until this transition is complete, as it depends
> on behavior following the abi bump).

As you've declared the B-D on the new version, the builldds wont
build it until the new version is in the archives, so there shouldnt
be a problem. (I think you talk about growlight)