Re: Which concrete package gets installed by default for a virtual package?

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 01:38:03AM +0000, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 3:46 PM Ryan Nowakowski wrote:
>
> > If I install foo, which concrete package providing bar gets installed,
> > blerg or blerg-plus?  How can I control which concrete package(blerg or
> > blerg-plus) gets installed when I install foo?
>
> I think the best thing is for one of them to provide foo-default and
> for packages to depend on foo-default | foo.

Thanks Paul!  It looks like that's what Debian does with the
mail-transport-agent virtual package.  Most dependents use a line like
this:

    Depends: default-mta | mail-transport-agent

And exim4-daemon-light provides default-mta so it gets installed by
default.