Re: Assist in maintaining a package

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 10:03:02AM +0200, Andrej Shadura wrote:
>On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 09:58:16PM -0300, Leandro Cunha wrote:
>> The Drawing package needs attention today, the 28th, completes three
>> months without updates, and Buster does not have an alternative to MyPaint
>> and I needed one that could be present in Backports and I can attest that
>> it is 100% compatible. With that in mind, I offer to help maintain
>> the package in Debian and follow the upstream. The maintainer maintains
>> several packages and I intend only to help maintain it, which is Andrej
>> Shadura who is Debian Developer. I dedicated time and tested a packing for
>> this package with NMU (non maintainer update). I did this by following the
>> Debian developers reference for assistance. It was presented as novelty
>> for version of Mint 19.3 release in finish of 2019. I even drew attention
>> to Mailing List debian-devel about bug report in open, asking to update
>> with date of 29th of February.

> I honestly don’t understand the urgency. You’ve been spamming me with
> messages about drawing while the package in Debian in only two versions
> behind the upstream. There’s only been a couple of minor fixes upstream,
> this can certainly wait until I find time.
>
> Also, make sure you understand: the fact you proposed an NMU doesn’t mean
> it has been accepted. So you cannot meaningfully claim that you "worked alone
> on packages like Drawing for Debian". All of the messages you keep posting
> seems a bit like stepping on my toes and hurrying me up for no reason.
>
> Please let me maintain the package on the pace I find appropriate.

My previous reply was probably a bit harsh, because I was annoyed. That
said, I would be happy to accept help, but you need to be more patient in
your attempts to provide it, because an avalanche of emails rarely helps
achieve what you aim for.

Let me illustrate. You send an email, I see it, but have a lot of other
work, so I don’t reply but I note it in my head, ‘oh, I need to have a
look at that thing’. Before I have a chance to answer, you send another
email. ‘Oh, but wasn’t the previous email yesterday?’ In less than a day
you propose an NMU which is not of quality I would like, and also ask for
upload permission, but before I have a chance to talk to you and explain
what changes need to be done, you go ahead and attempt to apply for a
Debian Maintainer. After that email, my only reaction was to ignore any
further emails from you.

I understand you’re very motivated to make Debian better, just like myself
before I joined Debian, but you need to give others (e.g. me in this case)
a bit more time and not press the issue instead.

If you are okay with slowing down a bit, :) I am willing to work with you
and mentor you as a prospective co-maintainer of this package. It is small
enough to be a package to learn things on.

--
Cheers,
  Andrej