Re: Advice on packaging new upstream releases.

On 2020-02-16 at 10:42, Inaki Malerba wrote:

> Why should I include the non-minified version? For reading purposes?
> Never thought of it but makes sense.

As I understand it: for editing purposes.

The principle is that the source package should include the form of the
source which is preferred for making modifications to that source, or to
put it more briefly, the "preferred form for modification". (Some people
seem to say "of" instead of "for", but that doesn't really mean anything
that would make sense in the context.) Otherwise, the recipient can't
modify the source with the same facility as upstream can, whether for
forking purposes (including just making a local modification to the
package, without reference to any non-packaged code) or to create
patches for submitting upstream.

In the case of minified JS, it's a rare case in which someone prefers to
edit a minified form rather than the less compact and more verbose form
which gets passed through a minifier at build time, and even rarer for
someone who doesn't prefer that to be willing to accept patches written
against the minified form.

--
   The Wanderer