Re: Copyright review for salsa project debian/gensio

On Mon, 2020-11-16 at 09:28 -0600, Ryan Pavlik wrote:
> Yes, it's disappointing that licensecheck doesn't handle the SPDX
> tags.

Fortunately, SPDX tags are very close, if not identical, to the Debian
short form of the license. So, in theory, you can grep for 'GPL-v2' for
example. But SPDX-License-Identifier is easier to grep for since the
string SPDX is kinda uncommon.

> I also have used "CME" for a variety of maintenance tasks, including
> copyright-file creation/analysis. It's pretty good, if somewhat more
> verbose that I would be writing it by hand. See my personal packaging
> notes here for some info and links:
> https://gist.github.com/rpavlik/0e68877cd47396d39366ae3a59e8fafd

> Ryan
>
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 7:46 PM Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 4:08 PM Marc Haber wrote:
> >
> > > after a second look, licensecheck doesn't look too good any more.
> > > It
> > > doesn't grok the quite common SPDX notation, and I would love a
> > > tool
> > > that also checks debian/copyright (it's machine readable for a
> > > reason)
> > > and tells me which files are not listed in there.
> >
> > The available copyright review tools are documented here:
> >
> > https://wiki.debian.org/CopyrightReviewTools
> >
> > I hear that scanCode is the best one, but it isn't in Debian.

ScanCode is terrific, but it is undergoing a move from python 2.7 to
3.6 and is not  yet packaged.

I have a plan to add spdx support to licensecheck, I think the best
place for that is the Debian bug tracker.

Cheers,

Jeremiah