Speeding up test builds Re: Building a few of packages

(These are general hints, I haven't looked at your particular package.)

Since the binary you want is arch-specific (_amd64 rather than _all), use dpkg-buildpackage --build=source,any.

If the tests are long, you can skip them with DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nocheck. If you're trying to fix a test failure bug, it is often possible to manually run a single test afterwards. (How depends on what test framework upstream are using.)

If you still have the previous build tree, or expect to need more than one additional build, consider using dpkg-buildpackage --no-pre-clean to re-use the parts that haven't changed. (Warning: this may not have the same result as a normal build.)

Tong Sun wrote:
The only way I can think of is to change d/control file, comment out
all other packages.

This probably won't be much faster: it's likely to build everything and just not package up the pieces you didn't ask for.

To do only part of the actual build, you probably need to modify debian/rules and/or the upstream build system.

But that will cause trouble to dpkg-buildpackage

Changes under debian/ shouldn't. Changes to upstream files do need to be made into an actual patch (dpkg-source --commit), but this is not the same as committing to git.

or gbp buildpackage, which requires me checking in those temporary
changes before starting

This gbp check can be turned off with --git-ignore-new.