Re: RFH: Debian derivatives census

On Thu, 2020-09-03 at 10:04 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> Hi all,

Hello Pabs!

> I'm looking for collaborators on the Debian derivatives census. The
> census involves a mixture of social and technical work as well as
> following different information feeds to find new Debian derivatives
> and passing information to other Debian teams and folks.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census

> I believe the census is valuable to Debian and to derivatives

I would like to say that we find it incredibly valuable for PureOS and
I've seen the Derivatives Census as an excellent source of information
both for outreach and to understand the Debian ecosystem as it were.
Thank you pabs for all your work on this.

> and that
> it helps build mutually beneficial connections between us and the
> wider
> community of Free Software distributions. Derivatives bring new
> people,
> perspectives and projects to Debian, conference sponsorship and more.
> Derivatives benefit from collaboration with Debian through learning
> from our community, increased exposure to the Debian audience and of
> course our software distribution and services.

I would like to add that I've recently learned that the Derivatives
Census can help determine programmatically the delta between Debian and
a Derivative (if things are correctly configured.) For a distribution
such as ours which aims for binary compatibility and wants to stay as
close to Debian as possible, this is extremely valuable.

> I'm looking for folks who are not very involved in Debian and would
> like to increase their involvement.

I feel that is our responsibility to contribute back to Debian (which
we try to do) everything we can and I think that contributing time and
effort is the least we can do.

> The current codebase involves Make,
> Python, SQL, Shell and small amounts of Perl but if you don't know
> these yet I'll be happy to help you learn enough that you can
> contribute. In addition to the census codebase itself, work on the
> census can involve working on the codebases of other Debian services,
> such as the Debian Package Tracker.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Integration
> https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives
> https://tracker.debian.org/

The Debian package tracker will be of particular interest to me because
of the ability to understand the delta from Debian to a derivative. I'm
more than happy to contribute in any way I can and will review those
URLs to find some low-hanging fruit to get me started. Is there are
preferred channel for communication? Is the mailing list preferred over
IRC?

> The census service is currently disabled until the patch part of the
> service is refactored to use a database instead of YAML so that
> metadata about the patches doesn't use all the RAM on the machine. I
> haven't had the spoons to tackle this issue just yet.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Glossary#spoons

Debian lore! Thanks, I didn't know about spoons. :-)

Regarding RAM and CPUs, I have a VM running Bullseye at Linode which we
can use for Gitlab runners or the like. Perhaps this will be of use? It
is currently used to run diffoscope over an ISO built by debootstrap to
determine reproducibility of the ISO;
http://dev.jeremiahfoster.com/pureos-9.0-images.html

I realize that Debian already has plenty of CPU cycles and would rather
have more spoons but I thought I'd mention it. :-)

Thanks again pabs et. al.!

- Jeremiah