Re: RFH: dukpy - Copyright statement for vendored and modified code

On 2020-08-17 at 22:21 +0900, Sao I Kuan wrote:
> It seems DukPy has a lot of vendored JavaScript modules, but modified
> by DukPy author.
> But the DukPy author didn't mention the vendored modules' copyright statement.
>
> Should I find the original code and follow those copyrights?
> Like, there is Punycode[2] in DukPy with some modifications[3]. Should
> I add [Punycode original copyright] into d/copyright? Or just place
> [DukPy copyright] is enough?

Hello Sao

You should note the right copyright for all files.

Ideally, upstream would have , but falling that, I'm afraid you might
need to start chasing the original code.

In this example [DukPy copyright] only mentions "Copyright (c) 2015
Alessandro Molina", yet punycode.js is "Copyright Mathias Bynens
<https://mathiasbynens.be/>"

Note that DukPy _might_ be infringing upon Mathias copyright, by making
it look as if it was fully Alessandro work.

(NB: I haven't checked whether DukPy actually incorporated the Mathias'
punycode.js, neither is this a statement about potential infringement or
not, plus IANAL)

Best regards