Re: files not installed anymore after upgrading from dh 9 to dh 10, 12, or 13

On Sun, Aug 09, 2020 at 11:11:44PM +0200, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to upgrade a package, it seems I need to switch to a newer
> debhelper version with it, 9 seems to be too old. I did the upgrade by
> changing Build-Depends from debhelper (>= 9) to debhelper-compat (13) or 12,
> 10 and deleting debian/compat. The package builds fine (after dropping
> automake from rules), however, some important files are missing from the
> deb, and I am trying to understand why. The missing files are:
> - glerc
> - inittex.ini
> - init.tex
> - manip.hlp
> and perhaps a few files from the font directory.
> In the build log you can see that the files are installed during make
> install from the upstream Makefile into this directory:
>
> /<<PKGBUILDDIR>>/debian/gle-graphics/usr/share/gle-graphics/4.2.5
>
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=gle-graphics&arch=amd64&ver=4.2.5-8%2Bb1&stamp=1593349513&raw=0
>
> After switching to a newer debhelper, the files do not appear in the deb,
> although they are still installed during make install. They do not seem to
> appear in the gle directory though (adding ls <dir> in the Makefile shows
> this), when I build with a debhelper newer than 9, and I would like to
> understand why. Or where this is documented so I can do the change correctly.

Level 10 defaults to --parallel and the upstream "install" target depends,
among others, on the "clean_install" target. Unfortunately, the rm
commands in the latter are silenced so it's not obvious from the log.

--
WBR, wRAR