Re: package one package from a git repo with multiple packages

Hello,

What is the issue, if you need a new contributor I should do. What are blocking phases?

Regards,

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 17:24 Nicholas D Steeves <nsteeves@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Rosea,

Sorry for the long delay in replying.  I lost the thread and it took me
this long to think "say, I wonder what happened with that new
contributor who wants to work on NON?"

"rosea.grammostola" <rosea.grammostola@gmail.com> writes:

> Nicholas and others,
>
> Ha, I didn't solve anything man. I'm probably the most unclassified
> person for the job. But hey, if no one wants to do it, you've to do it
> yourself isn't it? Which I can't so that's why I'm asking these 'stupid'
> newbie questions on this list. Sure there are all kind of obstacles, but
> I can't accept that these can't be tackled.

For the record I didn't think any of your questions were stupid.  I also
commend your attitude :-)

By the way, have you made any progress with this package?

> Arch Linux, Fedora, Kxstudio etc etc has the NON packages, but Debian
> not... yeah! :)

Agreed, we really ought to, especially since we're one of the only
distributions that still support i386, where a lightweight DAW like NON
might be the only one that performs adequately.  Of course, it will also
be really useful for low-powered ARM devices after i386 is retired.

> Ok back to business. Because no one else was taking up this package, I
> came up with this plan, which might make it possible for me (with the
> help of others) to get NSM packaged for Debian.
>
> 1) package only Non-Session-Manager (NSM) first
>
> 2) package it without dependency on NTK, but on FLTK only
>
> 3) See if you can get Non-Daw with NTK later in Debian.
>
> All this is only possible if I can get people help me. So I decided to
> just write a e-mail to debian-mentor and see what happens.

Please ask questions, or ask for comments on your plan of action (put
"RFC" in front of the subject heading to notify people of this).  The
approach "if I can get people to help me" isn't likely to go anywhere,
because it's almost always faster to do the work oneself then to review
someone else's work, and it takes even more time to come up with a plan
from scratch and explain "this is what I'd do, in this order, and this
is why (for each step)".

Please ask questions, especially if you're stumped :-) If this a case of
not knowing where to start, that wouldn't be a stupid question either!
Because everyone has to start somewhere...

Cheers,
Nicholas

P.S. Please reply "inline" aka: "interleaved"

P.P.S. I CCed you because it's been so long since the last post to this
thread.