Re: Question about naming

On 2020-04-22 11:13 -0400, Aaron Boxer wrote:
> Hello!,
>
> I have created a new package for a library (grok) with the same name as an
> existing debian package, so I have named my package grok-jpeg2000, because it
> is an image coder for the JPEG 2000 standard. Will this mismatch between my
> library name and my package name be a problem getting the package accepted ?

No. You can call the package whatever is reasonable, and of course
avoiding name clashes is necessary. And the source package name can be
nearly anything.

However you can't (easily) just rename the library itself, because
things that depend on it will look it up by name and fail to find
it. This is fine - that package can be grok-jpeg200 (I see arch linux
has used the same name), and the library libgrok-jpeg200 or
libgrokn-jpeg2000, but the _binaries_ it installs are
/usr/lib/<triplet>/libgrok*

That means that even with the binary package name clash avoided it
will not be co-installable with the other libgrok, because both
provide /usr/lib/<triplet>/libgrok. That may or may not be a problem
in practice (would anyone ever want both?) In this case you should
mark both packages as conflicting. Not idea, but hard to fix.

You could fix this by using a different library name and fixing up the
name in all packages that depend on it, but that would still be a
problem for compiling external projects that depend on this libray.

They may have wildly differing sonames and rates of change that are
likely to avoid filename clashes that way (i.e there would be
/usr/lib/<triplet>/libgrok.so.1 in libgrok1 and
/usr/lib/<triplet>/libgrok.so.23) in libgrok23, and not much danger of
the first putting out 22 more versions without the 2nd advancing,
although there is always some risk of that going wrong one day.

The best thing to do depends on the popularity and satbility of these
projects and how many other packages/external projects use
them. Contacting the grok maintainer to discuss what would be best is
in order IMHO

Wookey
http://wookware.org/