Re: Patching a binary file?

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 9:03 PM Scott Talbert wrote:

> Unless I'm missing something, there's no way to patch a binary file (e.g.,
> an image file) with quilt, correct?  Any workarounds?

Which package, binary file and changes to it are we talking about?

Some actions in decreasing order of preference are:

Get upstream to ship a text based file as the source of the binary
file, delete the binary from the upstream VCS repo and tarballs and
build the binary file from source at build time.

Send the changes to the binary file to upstream and get them to
include it and make a new release and then update the package.

Add a bsdiff patch and apply it at debian/rules build time.

Ship the new version of the file in debian/ and install it in place of
the original version.

--
bye,
pabs