Re: Using root privileges to build a package

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 10:45:02AM +0100, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> >> I'm working with a package (octomap) that is composed by two libraries
> >> depending on another one built in the same package.
> >>
> >> The question is that to build that two libraries correctly firstly the library
> >> that they depend must be build and _installed_. It's the _only_ way that I have
> >> found without patched all upstream.
> > Make two source packages or patch it so that it can use the library
> > without installing it.
> >
> >> Please, someone can tell me how can I put in a d/rules a "make install" to /usr
> >> that works?
> > The package build process should NEVER do such things.
> >

> well, I don't agree with you position. However I have to admit that I'm just a
> simple DM and not a DD, so my position could be weak.
Sorry, are you saying you think it's fine for a package build process to
modify the build host system?

> But, it's difficult to me understand why I should make a complicate process
> decoupling a package, patched and so on if just with one make install should be
> enough.
Because the package build process must not modify the build host system.

> Reading dpkg documentation and policy 4.9.2 [1] I understand that this step is
> allowed and can be done.
Nothing in there says it's allowed.
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#main-building-script-debian-rules
even explicitly says "Required targets must not attempt to write outside
of the unpacked source package tree.".

--
WBR, wRAR