control Vcs-Git

Hello mentors,

While slowly improving my first Debian package [0] I’m trying to understand the debian/control Vcs-Git field. IIUC the docs [1] tell me to point it at the branch used for packaging, in my case ‘packaging/debian’. I realised vcswatch uses this to decide when to prompt you for a new release [2]. I had been expecting vcswatch to look at ‘master’ and prompt me that it was X commits ahead of my packaging branch, and maybe it was time to merge and release. Is this just a misunderstanding of mine or should I actually be pointing my Vcs-Git at ‘master’?

Thanks,
Matthew

  [0]: https://packages.debian.org/sid/rumur
  [1]: https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-vcs-fields