Re: Request for Infrastructure Projects Mentorship

On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 4:33 AM ansimita wrote:

> I'd like to try my hand at Debian's Infrastructure Projects.

I'm not entirely clear what you mean by Infrastructure Projects, you
could mean core distribution projects like apt and dpkg or you could
mean some of Debian's services:

https://wiki.debian.org/Services

Is there any particular project or area you are interested in?

If you aren't sure:

The dak project is probably the most important service for Debian, it
manages the Debian apt repositories.

https://wiki.debian.org/Services/Debian%20Archive

I'm been looking for a regular collaborator on the Debian derivatives
census. The project is a mix of social and technical work, mainly
written in Python with some parts in Perl/shell/make.

https://wiki.debian.org/Services/DerivativesCensus
https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Integration

> I'm comfortable with C, Go, Python 3, and shell scripting

Many of Debian's services use Python, only two use Go (manual pages,
codesearch). dpkg uses C and apt uses C++.

> I'm not comfortable with web technologies.

Most of Debian's services are mostly web based, but there are some
such as dak that are mostly not web based.

> I lurk on a few of the Debian IRC channels at irc.debian.org and
> I'll be able to join the #debian-mentors IRC channel if necessary.

Much of the discussion on #debian-mentors is packaging related, but
infrastructure discussion is definitely accepted there, so please feel
free to join the channel and ask questions.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise