Re: Any clue how to use pbuilder / cowbuilder in connection with Rules-Requires-Root: no

On Mon, Dec 09, 2019 at 07:27:12PM +0100, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> > OK,  In my case dpkg has no choice to decide since the pbuilder
> > chroot is just lacking fakeroot.  I get
>
> Which is perfectly fine.

So far I agree.

> I now tried and indeed there is no trace of fakeroot usage, as it should
> be.
>
> I: Building the package
> D: no hooks of type A found -- ignoring
> I: Running cd /build/python-datrie-0.8/ && env PATH="/usr/lib/ccache:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin" HOME="/nonexistent" dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc  && env PATH="/usr/lib/ccache:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin" HOME="/nonexistent" dpkg-genchanges -S  > ../python-datrie_0.8-1_source.changes

Looks pretty similar to my command line.  BTW, python-datrie is just the
latest example of a series I had in the past.  So my problem is not
specific to that package at all.

> dpkg-source: info: using patch list from debian/patches/series
> dpkg-source: info: building python-datrie in python-datrie_0.8-1.debian.tar.xz
> dpkg-source: info: building python-datrie in python-datrie_0.8-1.dsc
>  debian/rules binary
> […]
>
> This last line (`debian/rules binary`) is the revealing string that
> indicates that dpkg-buildpackage understood this is a R³:no build,
> invoking directly the "binary" target skipping the "build" target.
> And I likewise have no fakeroot in my chroots.

> > I: Building the package
> > I: Running cd /build/python-datrie-0.8/ && env PATH="/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin" HOME="/nonexistent" dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc  -i\.git -I.git  && env PATH="/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin" HOME="/nonexistent" dpkg-genchanges -S  > ../python-datrie_0.8-1_source.changes
> > dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot not found, either install the fakeroot
> > package, specify a command with the -r option, or run this as root
> > I: copying local configuration
> > E: Failed autobuilding of package
>
> I'm honestly a bit at loss on how to further debug this issue at this
> time.

Which at least is relaxing that I'm not asking a stupif FAQ here. :/

> Even if for some odd reason you had an old dpkg, pbuilder knows
> how to detect that and it installs fakeroot in that case, but given that
> it doesn't that's not the case.

I can exclude an outdated pbuilder chroot.  I'm regularly updating
it mostly once per day.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--