Build dependencies not being installed when building postfix for stretch

I am trying to build the postfix Debian package from the stretch sources.

I downloaded the .dsc, .orig.tar.gz, and ..debian.tar.xz files and did a "gbp import-dsc *.dsc".

When I run "gbp buildpackage --git-dist=stretch" I get this:

test -f debian/rules
dh_clean build
dh_clean: Compatibility levels before 9 are deprecated (level 7 in use)
test ! -d debian/postfix || rm -rf debian/postfix
/usr/bin/make tidy
make[1]: Entering directory '/srv/scratch/postfix-build/postfix'
/usr/bin/make -f Makefile.in MAKELEVEL= Makefiles
make: Entering directory '/srv/scratch/postfix-build/postfix'
(echo "# Do not edit -- this file documents how Postfix was built for your machine."; /bin/sh makedefs) >makedefs.tmp
No <db.h> include file found.
Install the appropriate db*-devel package first.
make: *** [Makefile.in:32: Makefiles] Error 1
make: Leaving directory '/srv/scratch/postfix-build/postfix'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:22: Makefiles] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/srv/scratch/postfix-build/postfix'
make: *** [debian/rules:281: clean-preunpatch] Error 2
gbp:error: 'fakeroot debian/rules clean' failed: it exited with 2

Usually when I build the build process installs any missing packages in the list of build dependencies, but it is not doing that here.

Here is my .gbb.conf:
[DEFAULT]
builder = git-pbuilder
cleaner = fakeroot debian/rules clean