Re: Filling debian/copyright

On Friday, 29 November 2019 16:15:31 CET Sepi Gair wrote:
> How to correctly fill debian/copyright file? For instance, I have a
> software mostly written by one author, however, some other contributors
> who also made commits in existing files, yet not added their names to
> the corresponding section of the file with copyright info. Should I
> mention them as co-authors?

The idea is to gather in debian/copyright the information provided in the
copyright notice of the project's files. It's upstream's job to make sure that
said copyright notice reflects the reality.

> What to do in the same cases if no
> copyright comments in file present at all?

In this case, I assume that these files follow the copyright of the majority of
the files in the same directory (or upper directory or of the project if no
other information is found)

These rules are implemented by 'cme update dpkg-copyright'. You might want to
try it before spending a lot of time checking copyright.

See https://github.com/dod38fr/config-model/wiki/Updating-debian-copyright-file-with-cme

As cme author, I need to be fair and mention that other tools exist to handle
debian/copyright:

https://wiki.debian.org/CopyrightReviewTools

HTH

Dod