Google use clause conflicting with Apache 2.0

Dear mentors,

I filed an ITP for Google’s Material Design Icons. [1]

In the ITP thread, Jonas pointed out that Google requests users of the font to not sell the icons – a request that is seemingly incompatible with the Apache 2.0 licence.

Unfortunately, there is no official clarification on this conflict, although non-official interpretations say Google just don’t want people reselling the icons by themselves.

How should I manage this conflict with the Apache 2.0 licence?

Also, as the package ships icon images, sprites etc., there is a massive number of files. Given this, I’m thinking about packaging each icon category separately.

Alternatively, there is an active fork [2], which contains Google’s font files with fixes for missing icons etc., but no icon files or images. Thefork is licensed with Apache 2.0 as well, but with no extra clauses.

Is it more sensible (and feasible) to package the fork instead of the official package?

Thank you,

Hugh

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/934598
[2]