Re: Configure your PC to contribute to Debian community

On 5/9/19, Andrius Merkys <andrius.merkys@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Vipul,
>
> On 2019-05-08 18:12, Vipul wrote:
>> Is there a way to get isolation for work & contribution purpose to
>> keep yourself organized?
>
> I personally run a VirtualBox VM with Debian unstable. I find this
> alternative to chroots more convenient for debugging. And snapshot
> feature of VirtualBox allows for reverting the system in case one
> inadvertently breaks it.

Speaking as someone who debootstraps a lot over time, personal CHOICE
is virtual machine if your system has the umph to handle it.

Nothing derogatory is intended against chroot. Chroot's been one of a
collection of HERO packages as part of being able to debootstrap an
entire photography-friendly Debian setup on dialup, sometimes just in
hours.

My thought process is that I just encounter weird, time wasting
anomalies that I a-sume would not be a consideration if I was playing
in virtual machine instead. Besides that, VM's a cool, Linux-wide
talent to have under your belt earlier on, if you don't already play
there. :)

For lurking newbies, "apt-cache search virtual machine" brings a
serious laundry list of things going on in Debian, AND I just tripped
over UML (user-mode-linux) a couple days ago. If UML is a chat-able
Mentors topic, I'd sure be happily lurking along with the thread.

Curiosity, in part, is whether or not UML plays nice with how
Developers do their thing. In other words, is it worth the time to
test drive it to see what it does?

UML *sounds* interesting if one (cognitively) grasps how to use it.
That doesn't always translate into being worth time spent
self-training when other virtual machine genre packages might
figuratively "blow its doors off" in experienced Users' popularity
contests. :)

Cindy
--
Cindy-Sue Causey