Pristine-tar is broken when doing backports

Hi folks,

I'm using gbp successfully in all my packaging projects and it works
perfectly when building in sid.  However since some time (about 1-2
months) always if I try to do a backport to stretch git-buildpackage is
creating a wrong upstream source tarball (wrong size and md5sum).  This
*only* happens for backports so I assume the Git archive is OK, but the
backport build process does something differently.

Any idea what might be wrong?

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--