Re: lintian warnings - help requested

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 at 20:22, Andrey Rahmatullin <wrar@debian.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 08:05:42PM +1100, Andrew Worsley wrote:
> > I don't have a sponsor (suggestions of where to look welcomed).
> https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers

I got no bites previously - perhaps I have to make a stronger case to
more users.

> > I assume the Errors are show stoppers...
> >
> >  1. Should I strip out the .exe files from the github repository and
> > ignore any worries about people who might try to build it on Windows?
> It doesn't matter for Debian. Only the source package contents matter.

Ok - I'll strip them out but keep them in a another "original branch"

> >   2.  The source-is-missing .html/.js files with very long lines -
> > Should I override them? Or try to wrap the lines?
> If they are sources in the preferred form for modification, why do they
> have long and not human-editable lines? If they are not actually sources
> you need to provide sources and build the resulting files from them.

Looks like unit test data (base64 encoded blobs).
Might try to wrap the lines - or strip them.

> >   3. The embedded-library issues - I assume there is not much choice
> > but to strip the code out and try and link against the relevant
> > packaged library?
> Yes, of course.

Sigh. Ok good learning experience I guess.

> >   Finally is there any way of running the lintian check with out
> > building the whole package ?
> Well, how can you check a package that doesn't exist?
> You can run lintian against the source package to check the source package
> problems though.

Ok I guess that is
   dpkg-buildpackage -S
which is must faster but I think I need to increment the delta in the
change log to make it generate an updated debian source package?

> > It's 30mb source code and dpkg-buildpackage takes a while.
> ccache

Ok - will look into that - sounds like it is definitely worth learning
how to leverage it

According to http://frungy.org/debian/ccache-building-packages:

debuild --preserve-envvar=CCACHE_DIR \
    --prepend-path=/usr/lib/ccache \
    -us -uc

 * Or https://debian-administration.org/article/129/Speeding_up_recompilation_with_ccache

apt-get install ccache
export PATH=/usr/lib/ccache:$PATH

> Also, is this a fork of some old mozilla code? I'm not sure we want some
> old mozilla code in the archive.

It's a XUL application - which as far as I can tell looks a lot like
mozilla code.
I don't think there is an open source alternative that is nearly
functionally equivalent.
The original system was taken proprietary https://www.celtx.com and no
longer made available.
As many writers/community groups have little money this software
provides the only
free alternative for these groups.

At least until something better arrives.

Thanks  again. Very helpful to to get some tips on these things.

Andrew