Re: Removing a package from unstable

On Sat, Jan 05, 2019 at 09:24:06PM +0100, Ole Streicher wrote:
> I have a source package (python-astropy) that I now want to remove from
> unstable. I took care that all reverse dependencies were removed now in
> recent uploads. As suggested in [1], I first issued
>
> $ ssh mirror.ftp-master.debian.org "dak rm -Rn python-astropy"
>
> to see whether it would run without errors. The output is however:
[…]
> In total, more than 50 mpackages are listed. Many of them because of the
> python3-astropy (build) dependency in hurd (which is unavoidable to
> break, but that is not a release platform anyway); but also a lot of old
> cruft. I though that this would be removed automatically?

cruft is not automatically removed as long as it would break stuff, like
in this case…
You say "unavoidable", but to me it seems:
 * hurd is blocked because src:astropy doesn't build simply because
   src:python-psutil is not building which is very simply because of
   #676450 which has a patch for 6 years and is team maintained even!
 * kbsd is not building because of a known issue in src:python3.7 that
   misdetects the avalability of sem_open() on kbsd, but alas the kbsd
   porters are too few and despute knowing the issue they can't work on
   them; however I've also been assured that it's not that hard to fix,
   so I guess somebody caring enough could try spending some time on
   this (in which case, let me point you to James Clark, he looked a bit
   at the issue in the past, he could tell you where to look).

> So what is the correct way now to get the package removed?

You could go ahead on the bug report, listing the rdeps that you
investigated and stating that you are willing to break them.
However, looking at how many there are, I think that would be rude and
as a supporter of the ports project I try my best to fix such issues
before going the way of breaking the rdeps.  At least the hurd one looks
incredibly trivial to deal with from a quick glance.

As I stated, removing from testing looks much simpler though:

% dak rm -Rn -s testing python-astropy
Will remove the following packages from testing:

python-astropy |    2.0.9-1 | source, amd64, arm64, armel, armhf, i386, mips, mips64el, mipsel, ppc64el, s390x

Maintainer: Debian Astronomy Maintainers <debian-astro-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>

Checking reverse dependencies...
# Broken Build-Depends:
pyregion: python-astropy