Re: Please help, review my package, and tell me if it could be put in unstable [ITP]

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 11:51:53AM +0100, Jean Jacques BRUCKER wrote:
> What's next ? What did I do wrong ? May someone with super powers
> consider this package, and tells me if it can be integrated upstream

First of all: I am likely the wrong person to reply to this mail.
Second: Reading someone say bad stuff about your "baby" is hard, but try
 to not get defensive – it is not an attack!

"lightweight distribution management" – so that is some tool to be used
by the release team of a distribution? No, it isn't, but even though
I am an APT developer, I have no idea what it does.

I /think/ based on the snippets I read that it is an apt wrapper script
to help in creating package installation profiles and to keep machines
following/switching between these profiles. Sort of like ansible/chef/
puppet/propellor/… but for packages only – but I am not sure and I got
that impression mostly from your reply to Paul who was also asking what
this thing does although in a less blunt way than I am now.

Every other sentence I read has at least one typo in it – and I say that
as a non-native English speaker who is an expert in producing a lot of
mistakes in his writing. Ask your users for help! There is also the
debian-l10n-english@ mailinglist for the last few points of excellence.
Having "Contain a tool than enhance cron-apt and manage an apt
sources.list with some extensions." as the start of the long description
of a package is wrong on so many levels that I can't enumerate them all.

I mentioned already, I am APT developer, so I am super biased in this,
but stating even in the RFS that whatever kt-update does (still not
sure) should be done by apt, but you don't want to contribute to apt
and therefore forked (= not contributing to that one either) another
wrapper of apt is not instilling a lot of confidence in me.

And I think you mean well, but what the heck means "AUTHORS files has then
been cleaned"? That sounds like you removed names from that file which
makes my stomach hurt as contributions by people never really fully
disappear (even if no line they wrote survives, the idea they had
might).
BUT even if that is all good and fine: That is one of the first
things you wanna tell a prospecting sponsor about your package? Not
about some killer feature, but about a dubiously clean text file?

So, long story short, this all heavily lacks a bit of quality in the
documentation or if you prefer "marketing" – completely ignoring what
it does on a technical level because nobody (at least not me) will
bother looking any closer.  Finding a sponsor in this state might be
even harder than it usually is.

(And no, even if that package would be in tip-top shape, I am not
available for sponsoring it or in all likelihood for further reviews.
Supercow of 'apt moo' fame would be furious with me… 😉)

Best regards & Happy new year

David Kalnischkies