Cannot get autopkgtest tests to run using gbp buildpackage

I use "gbp buildpackage" to build my Debian packages. I am trying to add autopkgtest tests to the source packages, but the autopkgtest tests do not run.

To test the process I created a minimal Debian source package containing a single file and a single test in debian/tests that always fails. When I run "gbp buildpackage" I see nothing in the output that the test in debian/tests was run let alone failed.

Here are the relevant files:

%%%% debian/rules
#!/usr/bin/make -f

%:
        dh $@

%%%% debian/control
Source: myapp
Section: unknown
Maintainer: John Doe <johndoe@example.com>
Build-Depends: debhelper (>=11~), autopkgtest
Standards-Version: 4.1.4
Testsuite: autopkgtest

Package: myapp
Architecture: any
Multi-Arch: foreign
Depends: ${misc:Depends}, ${shlibs:Depends}
 This Debian binary package was auto-generated by the
 debmake(1) command provided by the debmake package.

%%%% debian/tests/control
Tests: fred

%%%% debian/tests/fred
#!/bin/sh