Repackage two orig tarballs as one

Hi

I am packaging a game (opensurge), which has a repository on github.
My problem is that it is dependent on another package (surgescript, a
scripting language for it), which also has it's own tarball and
repository on github.

Surgescript is distributed as a library (statically built).

Do you think it's reasonable to repackage this into one tarball, and
use that as upstream, statically linking the surgescript library?

To me this looks like the best idea, but I am very much open for
suggestions.

Also, git-buildpackage isn't equipped for dual orig tarball yet, right?

thanks
-- Andreas Rönnquist
gusnan@debian.org