Re: Packaging repository using both upstream-as-git and tarballs / branch name conflicts

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 09:54:40AM +0100, Rebecca N. Palmer wrote:
> > If a remote has a branch this doesn't mean your repo has the same branch.
> Is this intended as agreement with my "rename upstream/master with git
> branch -u" proposal?  Or is it a suggestion to delete Salsa/master and
> force-push upstream/master over it (i.e. rewrite history to "this mistake
> never happened", with the implied breakage of other existing clones [0])?
I cannot tell you what to do with the existing repos but generally
branches in the upstream repo and branches in the packaging repo
shouldn't clash as branches in the upstream repo don't exist in the
packaging repo.

> > Then don't do that. A repo either uses upstream tags directly or uses
> > upstream/* tags that cannot clash with the upstream ones.
>
> Should gbp import-orig refuse to do anything (with an error stating that
> tarballs should not be imported into a git-only repository) if upstream-tag
> doesn't start with upstream/ ?
Not sure about this.

--
WBR, wRAR