Re: Intro and Seeking Sponsor

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 03:46:41PM -0600, Daniele Nicolodi wrote:
> On 25-06-2019 08:40, swiftgist@gmail.com wrote:
> }
> } Hello,
> }   I would like to learn how to properly submit and maintain a package for
> } Debian.  While I have been using/supporting/developing on Linux for more
> } than a couple decades, this experience has been on rpm based systems.
> }
> >   I have written a simple command line utility in Rust that I hope may be
> > useful to others.  The repo is https://github.com/swiftgist/diskspace.  I
> > am releasing a minimal debian package currently and need a sponsor.
> }
> }   While I have been reading the Debian Developer's Reference and archives
> } of the debian-mentors list, please direct me to anything that would be
> } useful.  Thanks for your time.
> }
>
> Hello Eric,

Hello All,

> I may be missing something, but what does you utility do that is not
> handled by 'du -h | sort -h | tail -n 20' ?

Please do  `apt show ncdu`   ( NC as in ncurses, but pronounce as "nice"
and DU is indeed Disk Usage )

> One of the criteria for software to enter Debian is it being generally
> useful and balance the added functionality with the inevitable resources
> that will be required to keep a package in the archive.  In this case,
> unless I am missing something, your utility does not offer any function
> that cannot be readily obtained combining standard utilities already in
> Debian.  This is also a balance in discoverability: anyone familiar with
> an Unix command line would find the above solution more quickly reading
> the relevant man pages, than searching the archive for a package doing
> the same.  Additionally, because of the flat hierarchy of the binaries
> in $PATH, I think that any command line utility with a two characters
> name is very likely to incur in a name collision.

That is mostly true but it mismatches
 Subject: Intro and Seeking Sponsor

Doing now what I could / should have done last night when I saw
the original message

Welcome

Your introduction message has been seen.

I do hope that you will find your way
and that you do come with many good questions.

For now some general advice
* be owner (main stake holder) of what you deam important
* join the Debian rustlang team[1]
* file a  RFS bugreport
* your mom[2] is not in Debian, your new friends are

Groeten
Geert Stappers
DD

Footnotes
[1] I don't know if it exists and how active it is
[2] The person who took care of your problems when EVERTHING was new
--
Leven en laten leven