Re: webapp packaging

On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 9:44 AM Wookey wrote:

> I have been packaging a small cgi webapp (for accounting). This has
> generated some queries about webapp packaging.
>
> Do we have policy on this? Or a place to disuss such things other than here?

Debian webapp policy stuff is fairly dead, some links:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-webapps/
https://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/Webapps
https://wiki.debian.org/webapppolicy
https://wiki.debian.org/CGI
https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2007/WebAppsTools
https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2015/Projects/AutoConfigWebApps
https://web.archive.org/web/http://webapps-common.alioth.debian.org/draft/html/
https://alioth-archive.debian.org/cvs/webapppolicy.tar.xz
https://alioth-archive.debian.org/cvs/webapps-common.tar.xz
https://alioth-archive.debian.org/svn/webapps-common.tar.xz

My personal opinion is that a webapp package author cannot know where
the person installing the package intends for it to be available on
the web, where on the filesystem data for that website should live,
which web server the sysadmin prefers etc. So those things need to be
determined dynamically at postinst time or at a later website setup
time.

--
bye,
pabs