Re: Configure your PC to contribute to Debian community

On 5/9/19, Dmitry Bogatov <KAction@debian.org> wrote:

> You can work in chroot (debootstrap) and/or you can build packages in
> schroot.

I was going to mention schroot myself as an addendum to a chroot
reference when this thread first started. They *are* slightly
different. There was a quick thread on Debian-User a while back where
something that possibly worked in chroot was not working in schroot.
As a user who had never tried schroot, I was able to easily help
duplicate that bug, too.

Schroot's description sounds... *VERY interesting* if one has never
done any of this. Sounds like all kinds of being able to change things
up. That's a talent/ability you'd want if you're developing something
intended for all kinds of users instead of "just" something about
installing something (e.g. my debootstraps) before then moving on down
the computing road.. :)

DISCLAIMER: If chroot also offers some of that change up ability, my
observation just means I've never encountered any usage needs where
chroot's hardier features became apparent. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs often in linux-lurk-mode *