Re: Not using the pristine-tar branch

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 2:56 PM Tong Sun wrote:

> I saw many people are stop using the "pristine-tar" branch, since the
> "pristine-tar" tool can do just that.

To add more content, this is where the idea comes from:
https://joeyh.name/blog/entry/generating_pristine_tarballs_from_git_repositories/

> If I want to do the same,
>
> - what should I do, if I have a repo that contains such pristine-tar branch?
> - If I have a repo that contains such pristine-tar branch that has
> never been pushed, would removing the pristine-tar branch recover the
> space wasted before, so when pushed to the server, it'd look like the
> branch was never before?

Now I found more incidents that the "pristine-tar" tool doesn't work. E.g.,

https://feeding.cloud.geek.nz/posts/pristine-tar-and-git-buildpackage-work-arounds/
https://www.preining.info/blog/2014/06/debian-pristine-tar-packaging/

So, I'm starting to wonder, whether saving the space is more important
than being trouble-free.
Yours input appreciated.