Re: Building a shared library with no SONAME

Le 2019-02-06 11:59, Andrey Rahmatullin a écrit :
It's a bad idea to package shared libraries that don't keep stable ABI.

[...]

Please don't just add a random SONAME. Library versions with different
ABIs must have different SONAMEs so if you add a custom SONAME you will
need to change it each time the ABI changes, with an appropriate package transition. You may probably want to put the package version or the date
into the SONAME like e.g. libv8 does. Your other option, apart from the
obvious one (waiting for the issue to be fixed upstream), would be
comparing ABIs and maintaining the ABI yourself but I wouldn't recommend
it.

You're right, on second thoughts, this library, even useful, doesn't have a stable API yet, and will probably have more changes until a stable release.

I'll close the ITP for now. I may reopen it when the library will be stabalized.

/Nicolas