Re: Formal definitions of Provides and Replaces

Hi Paul,

On 09/02/2018 12:44 PM, Paul Wise wrote:
> The fields are defined in Debian Policy:
>
> https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#virtual-packages-provides
> https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#overwriting-files-and-replacing-packages-replaces

thanks for pointing this out. I was quite surprised that Provides/Replaces does not formally require the providing/replacing binaries to completely cover provided/replaced binaries.

The reason I'm asking is the removal of binaries of blacs-mpi, which is indicated as provided/replaced by scalapack now. However, scalapack's libraries have other sonames, what requires adaptation and rebuilding of all packages depending on blacs-mpi. I have spent quite some time to figure this out when packaging espresso. Isn't this a bug in scalapack?

Best wishes,
Andrius

--
Andrius Merkys
Vilnius University Institute of Biotechnology, Saulėtekio al. 7, room V325