Re: How to fix symbols files to work with gcc-7 and gcc-8

Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> writes:

> Well, it took a *long* time before I've undergone the process from
> ignoring symbols files to finally providing some in cases where there
> are good reasons to use them.  Shortly after I now get adise to not
> use them.  I'm not sure whether this is fully honest - but to you
> want to file a bug report against lintian to warn only about missing
> symbols files if its not a C++ library?

I took a pretty deep look at this 6 years ago.  I'm not sure if the
tooling has substantially improved; if not, I recommend against trying to
use symbols files for C++.

See:

https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/journal/2012-01/007.html
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/journal/2012-01/008.html
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/journal/2012-02/001.html

Looks like two of my pkg-kde-tools bug reports were closed, but this one
is still open: