Re: Taking over a package from an active DD

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 09:26:23PM +0800, gustavo panizzo wrote:
> I sent 2 emails to the DD asking its plans for the package
> and offering to take over the maintenance. To date I have no answer.
>
> What can I do?

Sadly, we have no good ways to deal with those cases.  Your options are:
1 keep mailing hoping something will happen
2 keep NMUing like crazy hoping the maintainer won't mind and won't
  overwrite your changes
3 do a "co-hijack", i.e. add yourself in Uploaders, and hope the
  maintainer won't mind
4 completely hijack the package and hope the original maintainer won't
  mind
5 get the Technical Committee on board and have them hijack the package
  from the current maintainer and give it to you

Also sadly, the only options that are "written down" and widely accepted
are 1 and 5, where 1 most likely will lead to nothing and 5 will make
everybody angry.  2 will be totally awkward and annoying in the long
run, and 4 most likely will upset the current maintainer.  IMHO the best
shot is to do a number of NMUs in several months, and then try option 3
(possibly followed by 4 a couple of years later or so).

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :