Re: Help to clarify an issue

On 2018-01-01 at 05:48, Herbert Fortes wrote:

>> Well said, I agree 100%.
>>
>> I consider both parties to be wrong here:
>> * Jonathan went very hasty on the NMU
>> * Herbert refuses a patch for a quite annoying thing, fixing which requires
>>   no effort on his side (as the submitter did all the work), without
>>   providing any rationale
>>
>> It's a clear bug to me: the package behaves in a different way based on
>> whether an unrelated doodad (some X stuff) is installed or not.  That breaks
>> people's muscle memory, requiring user's effort for every single machine the
>> package is installed on -- or, on every invocation, thinking "is this shell
>> on a GUI machine?".  And I for one ssh to my home desktop a lot.
>>
>> "because one does not want to press tab" is a ridiculous explanation.
>>
>> Thus, Herbert: could you please tell us if you have any reason to reject the
>> fix, other than being annoyed with a NMU done in a wrong way?
>
> It seems more ridiculous to me do not want to use an alias.

Adding an alias locally only fixes the problem locally, for one machine,
or even one person on one machine. (And - as mentioned in the bug
comments - if you're trying to share the same bashrc across multiple
machines, some of which have only duc and some of which have duc-nox, a
simple alias definition will not suffice; you'd need to write
conditional logic to determine which alias to define.)

Diverting the installed binary to a non-conflicting name and defining an
alternative locally would avoid the latter problem, but it seems
fragile, and again only fixes the problem for one machine.

Defining an alternative in the package, or (less optimally) having both
packages provide the same binary name with appropriate Conflicts:, fixes
the problem for everyone who uses the package - with relatively minimal
effort, and as far as I can see, zero undesirable side effects.

--
   The Wanderer