Help with removal of conffiles

Hi, mentors,

I need help with the removal of obsolete conffiles in bash-completion.
I think I understood what to do, but since I don't know how to
reproduce the problem, I'm uncomfortable with the change.  Below, I
give a long description of the problem (feel free to skip it if it
sounds trivial), then I ask the question itself.

* Description of the problem:

Bug report #645439 [1] for bash-completion shows that some conffiles
have been removed from the package, but never purged from users'
systems (apart from the conffiles listed in the bug report, I found two
other files).

In order to learn about conffiles and what package maintainers need to
do in their packages to properly handle them (deletion, updates,
installation), I read the wiki about conffile handling in dpkg [2], as
well as the documentation for dpkg-maintscript-helper [3], and
dh_installdeb [4].

Finally, I read the relevant commits in the repository for the
bash-completion package [5], to try and understand what has already
been done regarding the removal of obsolete conffiles, and I found this
particular commit [6], which adds debian/maintscript.

Since bash-completion 2.0 (actually 1.90), the completion files where
moved from /etc/bash_completion.d to /usr/share/bash-completion, which
rendered a lot of conffiles obsolete.  The commit above deals with
these files, but only with the files that were present in the 1.3-x
releases.  Files that have been previously removed (such as those
reported in debian bug report #645439 [1]) have never been dealt with,
thus causing the bug.

* Actual question:

Now, I'm planning to add the remaining files (which I tracked down by
examining the history of the repository) to maintscript, but I'm
uncertain about the syntax.

Initially, I thought I should add lines such as:

  rm_conffile /etc/bash_completion.d/harbour 1:1.1-1

for conffiles removed in bash-completion version 1:1.1-1.

However, after reading the manpage for dh_installdeb [4] (more
specifically, the section `package.maintscript', I changed my mind and
added lines such as:

  rm_conffile /etc/bash_completion.d/harbour 1:2.8-5~

So...  Is that the right thing to do?  I.e. regardless of the version
at which a conffile was removed, I should use the current release
version in `rm_conffile' calls?

The changes that I'm planning to do are implemented in a staging-area
in the repository by some commits (one for each version that removed a
conffile) [7,8,9,10].  (you are free to check them if that helps)

Thank you very much for your patience in reading up until this point! :)

Kind regards,
Gabriel

 [1] https://bugs.debian.org/645439
 [2] https://wiki.debian.org/DpkgConffileHandling