Source repackaging workflow with git-buildpackage

Dear Mentors,

I want to remove some files from upstream tarball foo-1.23 (already in Debian) to produce foo-1.23+ds using git-buildpackage following the recipe posted here [1]. I have added Files-Excluded stanza to d/copyright and added ' opts="repacksuffix=+ds,dversionmangle=s/\+ds//,repack"' to d/watch. However, 'gbp import-orig --pristine-tar --uscan' does not do anything telling "package is up to date, nothing to do". How should I proceed?

Many thanks,
Andrius

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debmake-doc/ch05.en.html#dfsg

--
Andrius Merkys
Vilnius University Institute of Biotechnology, Saulėtekio al. 7, room V325